Ketamine is a medication that has been around for a long time and has been used mainly in the past as an anesthetic, because when properly administered by a physician in a controlled environment, it is much safer on the respiratory system than other anesthetics. However, research (although in its infancy) suggests that it can provide hope for those with depression.
Some speculate that when administered in a proper setting and dosage, it allows the brain to become more readily available to change and have a positive outcome versus being stuck in a mental rut the rest of your life because of depression.
How is Ketamine Used for Depression?
At Victory Medical, Ketamine Infusion Therapy is not simply a form of an anti-depressant that is administered. It is more of a disruptor of signals running to and from the brain allowing them to be rerouted so to speak. It is also a vehicle for self-exploration and understanding as the experience is driven and supervised under the direct care of a psychiatric nurse practitioner who helps you break down the walls you have been building for majority of your life. Some people describe the experience as “trippy”, but life changing at the same time.
What Does Ketamine Infusion Therapy Feel Like?
When administered at dosages less than what would be used for anesthesia, you feel a sense of dissociation. You remain conscious but may lose awareness of your body or as if you are “zoned out” or traveling to another realm. The experience is relaxing as you are laying down when the medication is administered, and some choose to wear an eye mask and listen to soothing music. After the session is complete, family members report the patient as less irritable, having a sense of peace, and transformative in their relationships.
How is Ketamine Different from Other Anti-Depressants?
For starters, Ketamine is not an SSRI so unlike most medications that are prescribed for depression which fall under this category, Ketamine is in a category of its own. Many people switch from anti-depressant to anti-depressant without finding the relief they are seeking. Therefore, Ketamine is considered a game changer because it offers relief to patients who previously didn’t find a positive response with previous medications.
Does Ketamine Help with Other Issues Besides Depression?
Yes, Ketamine is also known to help with anxiety, PTSD, chronic pain, and postpartum depression. In our next article, we will go over how Ketamine can help those who experience these other types of issues.
Additional Services Offered by Victory Medical
Did You Know… Victory Medical is a one stop shop. We offer additional services for your convenience so you can tackle all of your health needs in one spot.
Victory Medical Offers:
- Primary Care: annual physicals, blood work, medication management, EKG, Vaccines, X-rays, Blood work
- Heartwise Physical: a comprehensive, preventative, non-invasive, head-to-toe evaluation, that includes 26 tests and takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Pharmacy: receive prescriptions through the convenience of our pharmacy. We also offer compounded prescriptions custom measured and compounded specifically for you.
- Urgent Care: Get help whenever you may need it with our Urgent Care clinics that have extended hours.
- Natural Hormone Replacement: Want to rejoin the human race and experience renewed energy, a fulfilling sex life, and happiness again? Don’t let the effects of aging drag you down.
- MedSpa: Look and feel beautiful at our MedSpa where you will receive quality treatments and products as well as beauty consultations
- Coolsculpting: The CoolSculpting fat-freezing procedure is the only FDA-cleared, non-surgical fat-reduction treatment that uses controlled cooling to eliminate stubborn fat that resists all efforts through diet and exercise.
- Ketamine Therapy: Ketamine is rapid acting, has a short duration of action, and has been known to drastically help those affected by Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD.
- Allergy: Allergy testing can improve your quality of life and shed light on the cause or trigger of your bothersome symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Victory Medical provides state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation for pain management, neurological ailments, and the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries including sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations, and post-surgical needs.
- Chiropractic Therapy: Manage pain, heal faster, reduce stress, enjoy life
- Weight Loss: Medical weight loss is an effective option for individuals who haven’t had success with other methods, and for people who need their health and safety monitored every step of the way.
Ask a staff member for more information about any of our services or schedule an appointment by calling 512-462-DOCS (3627)