What Is Hypothyroidism?
What is Hypothyroidism?
A condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. The thyroid hormone runs the body’s metabolism so people who have hypothyroidism typically experience issues with their metabolism.
Common Supplements Found in Our Pharmacy to Help Combat Symptoms
Iodine is the most crucial element you need in order to treat hypothyroidism because it makes up the structure of both thyroid hormones T3 and T4. Without iodine, you would not be able to produce optimal amounts of either hormone.
Vitamin B12 This water-soluble vitamin is essential for proper cell metabolism and is also responsible for nerve cell function and reducing brain fog.
Selenium The body needs selenium for building the enzymes that convert T4 into T3, which are thyroid hormones. T3 is the more active thyroid hormone of the two. Selenium also helps reduce inflammation and helps remove substances which may harm the thyroid.
Magnesium Magnesium converts T4 into T3 and also helps to boost T4 production.
L-Carnitine for hypothyroid related fatigue
Zinc can be helpful by allowing the T3 receptors in your cells to bind to T3 when it arrives. Without it, you wouldn’t be able to absorb the T3 generated by your diet or medications. It is also necessary for many biological functions which include producing testosterone, healing wounds, boosting immunity.
During early stages, you may not develop any symptoms. As the disease progresses, you may notice: fatigue, weight gain, mood swings, lethargy, feeling cold, hair loss or dryness, brittle nails, constipation, dry skin, enlarged thyroid, high cholesterol, sexual dysfunction, sluggishness.
Your doctor might prescribe a synthetic thyroid hormone to help control your hypothyroidism. This medication is oral and will help restore adequate hormone levels to reverse the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism. Most patients report feeling much better as soon as starting treatment. The medication can also help gradually lower cholesterol levels elevated by the disease and may also reverse any weight gain. Treatment for hypothyroidism is often lifelong, but it is important to check your thyroid hormone levels to maintain a proper balance and determine if the medication is working properly.
It may take some time to fine tune the right dosage for your body so your doctor may order lab tests more frequently initially after treatment has started. In addition, if you have too much hormone introduced to your body, you my experience the following side effects:
- Increased appetite
- Heart Palpitations
There are is no way to prevent hypothyroidism, but there are various ways to help prevent hypothyroidism from becoming a serious condition as well as lowering the risk of developing hypothyroidism if you follow the following guidelines:
- Protect yourself against x-rays and ask for a shield when appropriate.
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid starvation diets
- Check your lab work annually
Additional Services Offered by Victory Medical
Did You Know… Victory Medical is a one stop shop. We offer additional services for your convenience so you can tackle all of your health needs in one spot.
Victory Medical Offers:
- Primary Care: annual physicals, blood work, medication management, EKG, Vaccines, X-rays, Blood work
- Heartwise Physical: a comprehensive, preventative, non-invasive, head-to-toe evaluation, that includes 26 tests and takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Pharmacy: receive prescriptions through the convenience of our pharmacy. We also offer compounded prescriptions custom measured and compounded specifically for you.
- Urgent Care: Get help whenever you may need it with our Urgent Care clinics that have extended hours.
- Natural Hormone Replacement: Want to rejoin the human race and experience renewed energy, a fulfilling sex life, and happiness again? Don’t let the effects of aging drag you down.
- MedSpa: Look and feel beautiful at our MedSpa where you will receive quality treatments and products as well as beauty consultations
- Coolsculpting: The CoolSculpting fat-freezing procedure is the only FDA-cleared, non-surgical fat-reduction treatment that uses controlled cooling to eliminate stubborn fat that resists all efforts through diet and exercise.
- Ketamine Therapy: Ketamine is rapid acting, has a short duration of action, and has been known to drastically help those affected by Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD.
- Allergy: Allergy testing can improve your quality of life and shed light on the cause or trigger of your bothersome symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Victory Medical provides state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation for pain management, neurological ailments, and the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries including sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations, and post-surgical needs.
- Chiropractic Therapy: Manage pain, heal faster, reduce stress, enjoy life
- Weight Loss: Medical weight loss is an effective option for individuals who haven’t had success with other methods, and for people who need their health and safety monitored every step of the way.
Ask a staff member for more information about any of our services or schedule an appointment by calling 512-462-DOCS (3627)
Leave A Comment