Things You Need to Know Before You Get Laser Hair Removal
Laser Hair Removal Is Not as Painful as You Might Think
Technology has advanced quite a bit since the first lasers were used for laser hair removal and the pain one experiences is minimal. The laser is designed to target dark pigment, so it narrows in on the dark hair follicles under the skin. When the laser is used safely, the laser will emit a noise as the laser targets the dark pigment in the hair and the patient will feel a slight snap and some warmth. This feeling only lasts a few seconds and is typically very minimal.
Choose a Laser Hair Removal Operator That is Knowledgeable
Our team at Victory MedSpa are trained aestheticians who have many years of experience on various procedures including laser hair removal. They will ensure the treatment is safe and effective by reviewing your medical history, sun exposure, and customizing your treatment.
Skip Your Usual Skin Care Routine Prior to a Laser Hair Removal Treatment
When you are scheduled for a laser hair removal treatment, it is best to make sure the area you are treating is clean and free from any added moisturizers or chemicals. Avoid putting any lotions or sunscreen products on the area being treated prior to treatment. The laser works best on clean skin so it can target the pigmented area properly.
Shave a Day or Two Before Laser Hair Removal
Long hairs can “distract” the laser and waste the energy at the surface level where it will damage the hair, but not the hair follicle. It is best to have cleanly shaven skin so that the laser can target the hair follicle under the surface of the skin and work properly to reduce the hair growth in the treatment area.
Avoid the Sun or Tanning Bed Prior to Laser Hair Removal
Sun damaged skin (from sunburns) or increased pigment from tanning can make the skin in the treatment area for laser hair removal more susceptible to burning and hyperpigmentation issues. It is important to be honest with your laser hair removal technician about your recent sun or tanning exposures to ensure you have the best outcome.
Avoid Certain Medications Prior to Laser Hair Removal
Certain medications such as Accutane® or Retin A® can make the skin more susceptible to sun burns which can in turn increase susceptibility to burns from the laser. It is important to be honest about sun exposure when sharing medical information with your laser hair removal technician. Not informing them accurately can cause negative results that could be permanent.
Your Appointment May Not Take Long
Most laser hair removal appointments take less than 30 minutes. This can be especially true for small areas such as the lip or chin. Larger areas such as the legs or back can take up to an hour or more depending on the hair thickness and surface area the laser needs to cover.
Avoid Exfoliating After Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
After your laser hair removal treatment, your skin may be slightly red. In order to avoid any additional irritation, it is ideal to avoid exfoliating or any friction in the treatment area.
Laser Hair Removal Requires Multiple Treatments for Best Results
Most patients require 6-8 treatments depending on the area that is being treated. Since hair grows in different cycles and can also grow due to changes in hormones, some patients may require long term maintenance depending on their hair reduction preference.
Results Can Be Seen After One Laser Hair Removal Treatment
After the first laser hair removal treatment, you will be able to see a noticeable difference in the hair growth. Hair that grows back, will come back lighter and finer. Most patients love this because they no longer have the “5 o’clock” shadow under their arms after the stubble pokes through.
You Will Not Be 100% Hair Free
Since hair grows in cycles and can also grow when there are changes in hormones, you will not be 100% hair free. You will still have some soft vellus hair as well hair that sparsely grows in random areas. A good expectation is to have at least 70% reduction in hair growth. This is a reasonable amount and is very common. The great thing about it is that even with 70% reduction in hair growth, you will have much lighter and finer hair that grows back making it far less noticeable. It is also much more manageable to get rid of any hair growth that does occur because you will not be as prone to razor bumps or skin irritation due to the hair being much finer.
Additional Services Offered by Victory Medical
Did You Know… Victory Medical is a one stop shop. We offer additional services for your convenience so you can tackle all of your health needs in one spot.
Victory Medical Offers:
- Primary Care: annual physicals, blood work, medication management, EKG, Vaccines, X-rays, Blood work
- Heartwise Physical: a comprehensive, preventative, non-invasive, head-to-toe evaluation, that includes 26 tests and takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Pharmacy: receive prescriptions through the convenience of our pharmacy. We also offer compounded prescriptions custom measured and compounded specifically for you.
- Urgent Care: Get help whenever you may need it with our Urgent Care clinics that have extended hours.
- Natural Hormone Replacement: Want to rejoin the human race and experience renewed energy, a fulfilling sex life, and happiness again? Don’t let the effects of aging drag you down.
- MedSpa: Look and feel beautiful at our MedSpa where you will receive quality treatments and products as well as beauty consultations
- Coolsculpting: The CoolSculpting fat-freezing procedure is the only FDA-cleared, non-surgical fat-reduction treatment that uses controlled cooling to eliminate stubborn fat that resists all efforts through diet and exercise.
- Ketamine Therapy: Ketamine is rapid acting, has a short duration of action, and has been known to drastically help those affected by Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD.
- Allergy: Allergy testing can improve your quality of life and shed light on the cause or trigger of your bothersome symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Victory Medical provides state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation for pain management, neurological ailments, and the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries including sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations, and post-surgical needs.
- Chiropractic Therapy: Manage pain, heal faster, reduce stress, enjoy life
- Weight Loss: Medical weight loss is an effective option for individuals who haven’t had success with other methods, and for people who need their health and safety monitored every step of the way.
Ask a staff member for more information about any of our services or schedule an appointment by calling 512-462-DOCS (3627)
Leave A Comment