There are many types of headaches:
- Tension – You may feel a dull, aching sensation all over your head. It isn’t throbbing. Tenderness or sensitivity around your heck, forehead, scalp, or shoulder muscles might occur. Anyone can get a tension headache and they are often triggered by stress.
- Cluster – A cluster headache is characterized by severe burning and piercing pain. They occur around or behind one eye or on one side of the face at a time. They usually occur in a series and can last 15 minutes to several hours.
- Secondary – Secondary headaches are a symptom of something else that is going on in your body. The trigger of your secondary could be ongoing or become chronic. Treating the primary cause usually bring headache relief.
- Allergy or Sinus – Headaches sometimes happen as a result of an allergic reaction. The pain from these headaches is often focused in your sinus area and in the front of your head.
- Migraines – Migraine pain is severe and intense. Typically felt deep within your head. This pain can last for several hours to days. The headache limits your ability to carry out your daily routine and patients are usually sensitive to light and sound.
Common Supplements Found in Our Pharmacy to Help Combat Symptoms
B Complex: B vitamins are necessary for cells to produce energy. Vitamin B12 is responsible for forming red blood cells, which transport oxygen in the blood throughout the body. Once the oxygen arrives to your body’s cells, it is utilized for energy production. Vitamin B12 also plays an important role in neurological function. Vitamins B6, B1, and B2 have been found to reduce the severity and duration of headaches and migraines.
Magnesium promotes better sleep. If difficulty falling asleep is contributing to your headaches, a magnesium supplement may improve your sleep quality, and help you feel more rested. Magnesium glycinate or L-Threonate are supplements that can help.
Butterbur helps to reduce migraine frequency.
Primary headaches are stand-alone illnesses caused directly by the over activity of, or problems with, structures in the head that are pain-sensitive. This includes the blood vessels, muscles, and nerves of the head and neck. They may also result from changes in chemical activity in the brain. Headaches can have causes that aren’t due to underlying disease. Examples include lack of sleep, an incorrect eyeglass prescription, stress, loud noise exposure, insufficient water intake, magnesium insufficiency, or tight head-wear.
Diagnosing a Headache
As a headache can be caused by many different factors working in combination, diagnosis can be difficult. Your doctor may diagnose a headache using a number of tests including:
Medical history – recent events such as childbirth, medication, surgery.
Physical examination – to check for signs of illness or disease. Your doctor may also ask detailed questions about diet, lifestyle and life events.
Tests – such as blood tests or imaging tests
After completing the headache history portion of the evaluation, the doctor will perform a complete physical and neurological exam. The doctor will look for signs and symptoms of an illness that may be causing the headaches, such as: Fever or abnormalities in breathing, pulse, or blood pressure.
Treating a Headache
- Rest in a quiet, dark room.
- Hot or cold compresses to your head or neck.
- Massage and small amounts of caffeine.
- Over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others), acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) and aspirin.
Your doctor may recognize that your headache is actually a migraine and may give you prescription medication to help combat the severe pain as well as nausea that might accompany it.
Additional Services Offered by Victory Medical
Did You Know… Victory Medical is a one stop shop. We offer additional services for your convenience so you can tackle all of your health needs in one spot.
Victory Medical Offers:
- Primary Care: annual physicals, blood work, medication management, EKG, Vaccines, X-rays, Blood work
- Heartwise Physical: a comprehensive, preventative, non-invasive, head-to-toe evaluation, that includes 26 tests and takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Pharmacy: receive prescriptions through the convenience of our pharmacy. We also offer compounded prescriptions custom measured and compounded specifically for you.
- Urgent Care: Get help whenever you may need it with our Urgent Care clinics that have extended hours.
- Natural Hormone Replacement: Want to rejoin the human race and experience renewed energy, a fulfilling sex life, and happiness again? Don’t let the effects of aging drag you down.
- MedSpa: Look and feel beautiful at our MedSpa where you will receive quality treatments and products as well as beauty consultations
- Coolsculpting: The CoolSculpting fat-freezing procedure is the only FDA-cleared, non-surgical fat-reduction treatment that uses controlled cooling to eliminate stubborn fat that resists all efforts through diet and exercise.
- Ketamine Therapy: Ketamine is rapid acting, has a short duration of action and has been known to drastically help those affected by Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD.
- Allergy: Allergy testing can improve your quality of life and shed light on the cause or trigger of your bothersome symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Victory Medical provides state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation for pain management, neurological ailments, and the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries including sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations, and post-surgical needs.
- Chiropractic Therapy: Manage pain, heal faster, reduce stress, enjoy life
- Weight Loss: Medical weight loss is an effective option for individuals who haven’t had success with other methods, and for people who need their health and safety monitored every step of the way.