Understanding High Cholesterol
What is Hyperlipidemia?
Hyperlipidemia is an abnormally high concentration of fats or lipids (fat particles) in the blood. This can also mean that there is too much LDL (bad) cholesterol or triglycerides in the blood. This condition can increase the risk of blockages in arteries by increasing the amount of fatty deposits.
This disease typically does not have any symptoms.
Hyperlipidemia is usually diagnosed through blood tests and can be seen with the results of a cholesterol panel.
Common Supplements Found in Our Pharmacy to Help Lower Cholesterol and Control Hyperlipidemia
Niacin Niacin (vitamin B3) is one of the most effective supplements that can help raise HDL-C levels and reduce LDL-C levels and triglycerides. Talk to your doctor about how this supplement might help you lower your cholesterol.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids Taking these offer a wide variety of health benefits including the ability to reduce blood pressure by reducing the LDL, or bad cholesterol.
Soluble Fiber has been associated with lowering total cholesterol and LDL-C.
Treating and Preventing Hyperlipidemia
Hyperlipidemia can be prevented as well as sometimes treated by incorporating a healthy diet, weight loss, and exercise. In addition, it is a wise idea to choose foods low in trans fat and eat more fiber rich foods. Eating fish twice a week can also help prevent or treat hyperlipidemia.
For some people, diet and lifestyle changes may not be enough so their doctor will prescribe medications in order to help bring their cholesterol levels into a healthy range.
Additional Services Offered by Victory Medical
Did You Know… Victory Medical is a one stop shop. We offer additional services for your convenience so you can tackle all of your health needs in one spot.
Victory Medical Offers:
- Primary Care: annual physicals, blood work, medication management, EKG, Vaccines, X-rays, Blood work
- Heartwise Physical: a comprehensive, preventative, non-invasive, head-to-toe evaluation, that includes 26 tests and takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Pharmacy: receive prescriptions through the convenience of our pharmacy. We also offer compounded prescriptions custom measured and compounded specifically for you.
- Urgent Care: Get help whenever you may need it with our Urgent Care clinics that have extended hours.
- Natural Hormone Replacement: Want to rejoin the human race and experience renewed energy, a fulfilling sex life, and happiness again? Don’t let the effects of aging drag you down.
- MedSpa: Look and feel beautiful at our MedSpa where you will receive quality treatments and products as well as beauty consultations
- Coolsculpting: The CoolSculpting fat-freezing procedure is the only FDA-cleared, non-surgical fat-reduction treatment that uses controlled cooling to eliminate stubborn fat that resists all efforts through diet and exercise.
- Ketamine Therapy: Ketamine is rapid acting, has a short duration of action, and has been known to drastically help those affected by Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD.
- Allergy: Allergy testing can improve your quality of life and shed light on the cause or trigger of your bothersome symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Victory Medical provides state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation for pain management, neurological ailments, and the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries including sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations, and post-surgical needs.
- Chiropractic Therapy: Manage pain, heal faster, reduce stress, enjoy life
- Weight Loss: Medical weight loss is an effective option for individuals who haven’t had success with other methods, and for people who need their health and safety monitored every step of the way.
Ask a staff member for more information about any of our services or schedule an appointment by calling 512-462-DOCS (3627)
Leave A Comment