Ways to Combat a Cold
What is the Common Cold?
The common cold can be caused by more than 200 different viruses, which easily spread in the air and through close contact. According to the CDC, rhinovirus is the most common type of virus that causes colds.
Most people easily recognize cold symptoms. Colds generally begin with a sore throat and runny nose. You’ll also notice:
- Stuffy nose
- A mild fever in children (101° F – 102° F)
- Mild aches
- Watery eyes
Symptoms generally peak within one to two days, but can linger for up to two weeks.
Diagnosing a Cold
Colds are generally diagnosed by observing symptoms. Tests to identify the virus are not necessary.
Common Supplements Found in Our Pharmacy to Help Combat Symptoms
Zinc Zinc can be helpful for colds in two ways: First, your immune system needs zinc, so you want to be sure you’re not deficient – which is not uncommon in older people. Second, when taken as a lozenge, zinc works on the throat and can reduce the duration and severity of cold symptoms. However, when used to treat a cold, zinc has to act directly on your throat where it may kill viruses. Just swallowing or even chewing a zinc supplement defeats the purpose. In fact, getting too much zinc may actually reduce your immunity.
Vitamin D Taking vitamin D is unlikely to help people who are not deficient in it. However, when vitamin D is given to people who are deficient, which is the case for as much as 40% of Americans, it does amazing things including reducing the risk of the flu and respiratory infections, including pneumonia. You’re more likely to be deficient if you don’t get out in the sun much (or if your extremities are totally covered with clothing or sunscreen when you do) and don’t consume much dairy or other foods with vitamin D. People with dark skin, the elderly, and those who are obese are more likely to be deficient.
Treating a Cold
Because colds are viral illnesses, they cannot be treated with antibiotics. There are a number of things, though, that can help relieve symptoms:
- Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids.
- For a sore throat gargle warm salt water.
- Use a cool mist vaporizer / humidifier.
- Take ibuprofen or acetaminophen to help ease aches and reduce fever. Before starting a new medication, consult your healthcare provider to determine if taking these medications are appropriate for you.
For whatever winter ailment is upon you, there are a couple steps you can take to prevent the spread of germs that could potentially affect others. They include:
- Coughing or sneezing into the crook of your elbow or into a tissue.
- Avoiding touching your face, nose, mouth, and eyes to keep germs at bay.
- Avoiding contact with other sick individuals.
- Washing your hands as often as you can, particularly after you sneeze or cough.
Additional Services Offered by Victory Medical
Did You Know… Victory Medical is a one stop shop. We offer additional services for your convenience so you can tackle all of your health needs in one spot.
Victory Medical Offers:
- Primary Care: annual physicals, blood work, medication management, EKG, Vaccines, X-rays, Blood work
- Heartwise Physical: a comprehensive, preventative, non-invasive, head-to-toe evaluation, that includes 26 tests and takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Pharmacy: receive prescriptions through the convenience of our pharmacy. We also offer compounded prescriptions custom measured and compounded specifically for you.
- Urgent Care: Get help whenever you may need it with our Urgent Care clinics that have extended hours.
- Natural Hormone Replacement: Want to rejoin the human race and experience renewed energy, a fulfilling sex life, and happiness again? Don’t let the effects of aging drag you down.
- MedSpa: Look and feel beautiful at our MedSpa where you will receive quality treatments and products as well as beauty consultations
- Coolsculpting: The CoolSculpting fat-freezing procedure is the only FDA-cleared, non-surgical fat-reduction treatment that uses controlled cooling to eliminate stubborn fat that resists all efforts through diet and exercise.
- Ketamine Therapy: Ketamine is rapid acting, has a short duration of action, and has been known to drastically help those affected by Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD.
- Allergy: Allergy testing can improve your quality of life and shed light on the cause or trigger of your bothersome symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Victory Medical provides state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation for pain management, neurological ailments, and the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries including sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations, and post-surgical needs.
- Chiropractic Therapy: Manage pain, heal faster, reduce stress, enjoy life
- Weight Loss: Medical weight loss is an effective option for individuals who haven’t had success with other methods, and for people who need their health and safety monitored every step of the way.
Ask a staff member for more information about any of our services or schedule an appointment by calling 512-462-DOCS (3627)
Leave A Comment